Wood Fences Vs. Vinyl And PVC Fences
Choosing a fence can be a daunting task, but there are specific things you should consider when choosing the best fence material for your needs. The two most popular types of fencing materials are wood and vinyl/PVC. There are some differences between the two types, primarily the initial cost involved. The bottom line is that you can install a wooden fence for less money than you would spend on a vinyl fence. Let’s discuss the differences and how you can make the choice for your lifestyle and budget.
Top 8 reasons to choose a wood fence
- Classic look: Wood fences are a traditional choice that add a classic look to your landscape.
- Color choices: With a wood fence, there is much versatility in the look of the wood. You can choose from an array of stain colors or paint the fence any color you would like.
- Picket styles: You can also choose different types of pickets, such as dog ear, gothic, pointed top, and flat top.
- Privacy: Wood fences can provide any level of privacy that you desire, with little to no spacing between pickets or wide spacing along the perimeter of your yard.
- Sound/Noise: A wood fence can dampen sound somewhat, whether you want to lessen sound from the street or carry on conversations in your yard that cannot be easily heard by neighbors.
- 10 – 15 year life span: When considering a pressure-treated wood fence, keep in mind that the average life span of the fence will be around twelve to fifteen years.
- Easy to repair: Fortunately, wood fencing is easy to repair, typically you can replace only the pickets that are damaged, instead of replacing large panels of fence material.
- Budget friendly: Wood is one of the cheapest fencing materials on the market.
Top 3 drawbacks of wood fences
- Damage: Unfortunately, wood is susceptible to fire, rot, and termite damage, so you will need to regularly inspect a wood fence for damage.
- Upkeep: Wood fences require regular staining or painting to protect the wood from rot and termite damage.
- Warping: Wood fences can warp if exposed to moisture or extreme changes in temperature.
Top 5 reasons to choose a vinyl/PVC fence
- Variety: Vinyl fence options include a wide range of styles and designs as well as varying colors.
- Low care: Vinyl fences require very little maintenance, which is a huge plus.
- Durable: Vinyl fences are impervious to termite damage and rot.
- Privacy: Vinyl fence panels can provide a solid amount of visual barrier between your outdoor area and the surroundings, so they are a great option for privacy fences. You can choose panels with no spacing or little spacing to minimize visual access to your yard.
- 25 year life span: A vinyl fence can last up to twenty-five years and the only work involved after installation is regular cleaning.
Top 3 Drawbacks of vinyl/PVC fences
- Less choice/ability to change the appearance: Vinyl fences typically cannot be painted, so you must keep the same color that you purchased for the lifetime of the fence.
- Sound: Vinyl does not provide as much sound absorption as a wooden fence.
- Difficult repairs: If you do need to repair a vinyl fence, it is typically more difficult and involved than simply replacing a board on a wood fence